Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Rock Island Arsenal Museum opened 1905

July 4

Rock Island Arsenal Museum was established in 1905

opened to the public on July 4, 1905

  • October 1, 1903 – Chief of Ordnance sent fifteen boxes of ordnance
    1904 after St. Louis World’s Fair – weapons confiscated during the Philippine Insurrection and taxidermy horse specimens sent to RI
  • 1909 – The Catalogue of the Ordnance Museum, Rock Island Arsenal published
  • July 4, 1919 museum reopened after WWI in its original location
    Now called the Rock Island Arsenal Museum
  • May 1948 – Reopened after WWII in Building 60
  • November 4, 1959 – renamed the John M. Browning Memorial Museum
    1962 – all U.S. Army Museums were placed under the authority of the U.S. Army Center of Military History
  • July 1, 1986 – renamed the Rock Island Arsenal Museum
(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)

Details

Date:
July 4
Event Categories:
,
Event Tags:
,